Telephone +44 (0)1305 264066

Private Samuel Vickery

Samuel Vickery was born on 6 February 1873 at Wambrook on the borders of Dorset, later moving to Dorchester. He enlisted in the Army at the age of 20 and completed his military training at the Dorset Regiment's Depot in the Barracks in what was now his home town of Dorchester.

After a period of home service with the 2nd Battalion in 1897, Private Vickery was a part of an annual draft sent to India to bring the 1st Battalion of the Dorset Regiment up to operational strength. Forming a part of the Tirah Field Force, heading to the North West Frontier to take part in the Tirah Campaign 1897-1898, Private Vickery, in a matter of months, found himself fighting hostile Afridi tribesmen.

During an attack on the Dargai Heights on 20 October 1897, his Victoria Cross citation describes how Private Vickery heroically ran down a rocky mountain slope and brought a wounded soldier back to cover under extremely heavy small arms fire. Later while operating in the in the Waran Valley, he also killed three ruthless enemy tribesmen who attacked him while he was separated from his company.

During course of the campaign, Private Vickery chipped a bone in his foot and was repatriated to the United Kingdom, wher his VC was published in the London Gazette on 20 May 1898. While still being treated at the Royal Military Hospital at Netley, near Southampton, Queen Victoria, who had specially travelled to the south coast, presented him with his Victoria Cross.

It was only a few years before he was in action again, this time in South Africa, this time with a mounted infantry section in the Boer War 1899-1902. Detached from the Regiment to 2nd Mounted Infantry Battalion, Vickery was captured by the Boers but, now ranking as Corporal, he made a daring escape after four days in captivity and rejoined his unit. He was subsequently wounded in December 1900 at Nooitgedacht during the guerrilla war that followed the defeat of the Boers in conventional battle.

Having completed his service, Sergeant Vickery retired but at the outbreak of the First World War, as a Regular Reservist, he was again back in uniform. Serving with the 1st Battalion, as a Sergeant, he was in the thick of the fighting in the Ypres Salient, however, he survived the war and died peacefully in Cardiff in June 1952.